I was a second-year literature student in between 2004 and 2005. I became achingly desperate to be a writer. Whenever I got chance, I went to a public library that was nearly two kilometers away from the room in which I lived. On a regular basis, I kept a notebook with me to take notes of interesting ideas and thought related to writing. Today, I feel, I should bring some of the notes from the pages of the notebook to this blog. No, no intention to educate you. I am writing only to remind myself of the interesting bits of information.
Before going deep into the writing process we need to know three important things that writers have in mind while writing on any thing.
These can be of four types
- Inform (teach, explain, clarify, share information on any topic ) [textbook, newspaper, journal articles, encyclopedia and instructions etc.] Paying attentions to definitions, explanations, illustrations and examples.
- Persuade (use information to convince people to change their opinion, point of view and behavior on a topic or subject [newspaper editorials, opinion editorials, political speeches, advertisements, controversial topics, book review and sermons.]
- Entertain is to tell stories [poems, stories, novel
- Writes sometimes write simply to share insights and feelings on a topic.The writers goal is to share thoughts, ideas and feelings. [blogs, diaries, poems and letters to the editors.
Point of view
The writer’s point of view means the perspective the writer have on a topic. That is how the writer is looking at a topic or subject. He may see a thing negatively or positively. That is positive angle or negative angle.
The tone of the writer changes depending on the point of view of the writer on a topic. Diction or the word choice play crucial role in defining the tone of a writer.
Process of writing
Writing process includes five steps or parts.
- Finding a topic
- Identifying purpose and audience
- Exploring a topic
- writing paragraph
- organising a paragraph
- checking unity and coherence
- Towards a final version
- Sharing your writing
If we want to go deep in the first step, we will observe that the first step basically deals with finding a topic. It includes three steps.
Exploring a topic
- Observe closely
- List the details
- Ask questions
- Search for information in encyclopedia, books,filmstrips, records, videos and television programmes
- Field trip
- Create an idea tree
- Traffic court
- Dinner table
- A waiting line
- Doctor’s office
- An audience at a movie
- A classroom
- A student lounge
- The first time you felt grown-up
- The major decision you took
- A moment you knew you were happy
- Your best or worst date
- A time you took foolish decision
- An argument you will never forget
- An incident that changed your life
- A time when you or did not the right thing
- The best/worst holiday/birthday/special occasion
- Learn a lesson or taught a lesson
- An occasion of triumph in sports or other games
Idea-based write-up (agreeing or disagreeing)
- Every person has a price.
- Haste makes waste
- Don’t count your chickens before they’re hatched
- A bird in the hand worth two in the bush.
- It isn’t what you know, it is who you know
- Borrowing can get you into trouble
- What you don’t know won’t hurt you.
- A promise is easier made than kept.
- You never really know people until you see them in an emergency.
There are some more examples:
- If you don’t help yourself, nobody will.
- An ounce of prevention is worth a pond of cure.
- Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst
- Never give advice to a friend
- You get what you pay for
- A stitch in time saves nine
- A fool and his money soon parted
- There is an exception to every rule.
- Nice guys finish last